Tomato Rice is a famous South Indian recipe. It is very delicious and easy to prepare recipe. Pureed tomatoes are sauteed with spices and then added to rice. You can pair this scrumptious tomato rice recipe with papad or even chips. It also goes well with onion raita and boondi raita.
- Soaked basmati rice – 1 cup
- Refined Oil – 2 tbsp
- chopped tomatoes – 5 large
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- bay leaf – 1
- Cardamom – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
- Red chilli powder – 2 pinch
- Garam masala – 1 tbsp
- Fresh coariander leaves
- Water – 2 cups
How to make tomato rice :
- Wash and dry the basmati rice and soak for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan or in pressure cooker, add a bay leaf , cumin seeds , mustard seeds, cardamom and saute then add ginger garlic paste ,green chillies and saute for 2 minutes .
- Now add chopped tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes are cooked .
- After that add turmeric powder ,red chilli powder ,garam masala then saute for 4 to 5 minutes .
- Add the soaked rice stir the rice with the tomato mixture very well .saute for a minute .
- Add water as needed for a more softer consistency in the rice .Season with salt as per taste .
- Cover and pressure cook tomato rice for 2 whistles on a medium flame .to get a softer rice you can also pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- When the pressure settles down on its own.then remove the lid and gently fluff the tomato rice .
- Garnish with coariander leaves nd serve tomato rice with a side raita .