Aloo posto is a traditional Bengali recipe that is prepared as a side dish for regular meals. The Bengali aloo posto, as the name suggests, is made by cooking potatoes with a spiced poppy seed paste and certain specific spices.The aloo posto recipe is a no onion no garlic recipe and the most important ingredients are mustard oil, kalonji and the poppy seeds along with the potatoes.
The potato and poppy seeds recipe has a unique taste as it has the nutty flavour of the poppy seeds, the softness of the potato and the pungency of the mustard oil.This dish is commonly prepared as a side dish for rice; however, it goes well with rotis as well.
- Poppy seeds ( khus – khus ) – 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chopped Green chilli – 2
- Peeled and cubed potatoes – 2 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Nigella seeds ( kalonji ) – 1 tsp
- Water as per needed
- Hot water – 1 glass
- Add the poppy seeds into a strainer.rinse it throughly with water and transer it into a bowl ,pour hot water and allow it to soak for 1 hour.once done strain the water.
- Add the green chilli ,strained poppy seeds ,2 tbsp water and grind it into a paste.
- Then add mustard oil into a heated pan add kalonji and the potato cubes stir well.
- Now add salt and Turmeric powder mix well and cook for 10 mins on medium flame
- Add the ground poppy seeds mixture and mix well.
- Turn the stove hot and serve hot !.